Monday, August 20, 2012

ParaNorman Movie Review

OK, I watched the movie opening night, and had to get to the theater a half hour before it started to make sure I have a good seat. I ended up walking straight into the theater, and was the first on there. Great, I could choose any seat I wanted. I was kind of surprised that no one else was there, but suspected that the theater would become more packed as the time went by. As the last half hour ticket by, maybe 5 other couples or families showed. That was it. The theater was bare. It could have been that it was the 3D showing, and parents didn't want to fork over the extra cash for it. It could have been the time slot, that parents where taking their kids to see a late showing. Whatever the reason, the turn out, was less than I expected. The movie had a great moral, of trying to teach kids that being weird is OK, and it was very anti-bullying, and over all wanted to get the point across that we should treat everyone with kindness and respect no matter their differences. That aside, I am not sure how I left about the movie as a whole. The visuals where great, the animation was fantastic, the world style was a little bit, well, I guess distracting. You could say that everything felt off, or weird. And that very well could be what they were going for. But, like I said, it was distracting for me. I left the theater thinking that I am going to have to see it again, not because I loved it and cannot wait to see it again, but because I need to come at it with a different mind set. Maybe it's a movie that has to grow on you. Like Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd. I wasn't a fan the first time I watched it, but the more I did, the more I grew to love it. Now, if I had to compare it to Coraline, I would vote Coraline was a better film. Oh, the other thought I had, was that ParaNorman is, in my opinion, a Halloween flick. It should have been released in October. Everything about it gave off 'Halloween' to me. I think it may have had a better turn out if it was released in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment